Travelling to Knysna
How to get to Knysna, including information for international visitors. Links to related websites (in bold) are provided for further information.
Ports of Entry
For international visitors South Africa has many Ports of Entry, whether by air, sea or land.
South Africa has 5 international airports, the nearest to Knysna being Cape Town International Airport (c. 472 km) ...
- CPT - Cape Town
- JNB - O.R. Tambo (Johannesburg)
- HLE - Lanseria (Johannesburg)
- DUR - King Shaka (Durban)
- MQP - Kruger Mpumanlanga (Nelspruit)
Knynsa does not have it's own airport.
The nearest airports are in Plettenberg Bay (c. 34 km), George (c. 70 km), and Gqeberha (previously known as Port Elizabeth) (c. 274 km) ...
PBZ - Plettenberg Bay Airport is the smallest and is served by ...
- CemAir - to/from Johannesburg and Cape Town
GRJ - George Airport has more flights daily and is served by the following airlines ...
- Airlink - to/from Cape Town and Johannesburg (summer season only)
- CemAir - to/from Johannesburg, Durban and Bloemfontein
- Fly Safair - to/from Johannesburg
PLZ - Chief Dawid Stuurman International Airport (previously known as Port Elizabeth Airport) is much larger and is served by ...
- Airlink - to/from Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban
- CemAir - to/from Johannesburg
- Fly Safair - to/from Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban
Knynsa was first declared a port in 1817, and de-proclaimed in 1827. The harbour was closed in 1954.
Knysna Municipality 2013 ... "From information available, the entrance into the harbour via The Heads is a dangerous passing and as such deemed not a serious commercial viability to develop to a greater extent"
There are no passenger rail services in the Knysna area.
Passenger services to Knysna were withdrawn in 1964, and the Outeniqua Choo-Tjoe stopped running in August 2006.
Bus / Coach
Knysna is served by a number of bus / coach services, mainly en-route between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth ...
There are no public bus services in Knysna.
Minicab / Taxi
There is no Uber service in Knysna, but there are a number of private minicab / taxi companies operating in the area, including ...
- Bennie's Tours - +27 (0)83 728 5181
- Ken Wright Tours - +27 (0)82 459 0663
- Gelant Cabs - +27 (0)84 772 9865
- Chaya Taxis - +27 (0)78 327 3010
Minibus / Taxi
Local minibuses operate a hop on / hop off service, the main taxi rank being in Nelson Street in the town centre.
Garden Route Car Rental , based at Waterfront Drive in Knysna, provides premium rental cars at affordable rates.
With delivery in George, Knysna and Plettenberg Bay their fleet will provide Comfort, Safety and Luxury.
Tortoise Car Hire is a local car rental company based in Sedgefield. Priding themselves on their quality service and timely delivery, they can arrange for a car to be delivered to you anywhere in the Garden Route including Mossel Bay, Knysna, George, Plettenberg Bay and Wilderness. They also operate AutoHireSA based in George.
George, Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth) and Cape Town airports are all served by the major car rental companies ...
Knysna is situated on the N2 National route which runs from Cape Town via George (to the west) through Plettenberg Bay to Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth) and beyond (to the east).
When driving from the west there are a number of alternatives to the N2, for example the Cape Route R62 from Cape Town, or the 7 Passes Road from George. These will add extra time to the journey.
From the east the R102 from Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth) can be used for some of the journey, until rejoining the N2 before Storms River.
Note that the N2 in Tsitsikamma is a toll road. The toll booth is situated between Storms River and The Crags.
The alternative route, the R102, cannot be used to bypass this as both the Storms River Pass and Bloukrans River Pass are closed.
- Waterfront, Knysna Quays - c. 1 km
- Thesen Harbour Town - c. 2 km
- Leisure Island - c. 7 km
- Simola - c. 7 km
- The Heads (Coney Glen) - c. 8 km
- Pezula - c. 8 km
- Belvidere - c. 9 km
- Noetzie - c. 11 km
- Lake Brenton - c. 15 km
- Brenton-on-Sea - c. 16 km
- Gouna - c. 17 km
- Buffallo Bay - c. 21 km
- Rheenendal - c. 23 km
- Diepwalle - c. 23 km
- Krisjan-se-Nek - c. 25 km
- Sedgefield - c. 25 km
- Karatara - c. 38 km
To the East
- Harkerville - c. 20 km
- Kranshoek - c. 31 km
- Plettenberg Bay - c. 33 km
- Wittedrift - c. 33 km
- Keurboomstrand - c. 40 km
- The Crags - c. 50 km
- Kurland - c. 53 km
- Nature's Valley - c. 63 km
- Storms River Village - c. 93 km
- Storms River Mouth - c. 96 km
To the West
- Wilderness - c. 47 km
- Hoekwil - c. 49 km
- George - c. 63 km
- Groot Brakrivier - c. 89 km
- Mossel Bay - c. 109 km
To the North
- Uniondale - c. 87 km
- Oudtshoorn - c. 119 km
- Plettenberg Bay - c. 34 km
- George - c. 70 km
- Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth) - c. 274 km
- Cape Town - c. 472 km
- O.R. Tambo (Johannesburg) - c. 1,165 km
- Lanseria (Johannesburg) - c. 1,169 km
- King Shaka (Durban) - c. 1,200 km
- Kruger Mpumalanga (Nelspruit) - c. 1,511 km
- Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth) - c. 261 km
- Cape Town - c. 491 km
- East London - c. 547 km
- Durban - c. 1,169 km
- Richards Bay - c. 1,337 km
- Van Rooyen's Gate (Lesotho) - c. 794 km
- Vioolsdrift (Namibia) - c. 1,054 km
- Ramatlabama (Botswana) - c. 1,160 km
- Oshoek (Swaziland) - c. 1,484 km
- Lebombo (Mozambique) - c. 1,593 km
- Beit Bridge (Zimbabwe) - c. 1,676 km